TOP 10 BEST FORMULAS FOR SUPPLEMENTING BREASTFED BABIES
When it comes to feeding the baby, the mothers have two choices, either to breastfeed or to choose a formula for feeding but fact is that you can do both at the same time. Even if you have started to breastfeed a baby, you still have the option to switch to a reliable formula for supplementing breastfeed babies to meet the nutritional needs of your infant.
But when it comes to choosing a formula, it can be a complicated selection for the mothers because of the variety available in the market. Try visiting the market, and you will see hundreds of different formulas options in the market, you might get confused while choosing the formula for your baby. So the question is, what is the best formula for breastfed babies?
This is where this article is going to help you. After reading the article, you will be able to identify the best formula for breastfed baby along with the best tasting formula for breastfed babies.
But before we jump to the Top 10 best formula for Supplement breastfed babies, let us give you a brief idea on why do you need to supplement the breastfed baby.
Do You Need To Supplement The Breastfed Baby?
After all, you are the mother of your child and the choice to supplement the breast milk with baby, the formula is all yours but let us assure you that there are tremendous benefits of the supplemental formula for breastfed babies. Let’s discuss the benefits that you can have if you supplement your baby nutrition with formula Milk.
· It helps overcome the Deficiencies: The first and foremost benefit of feeding the infant with baby formula is that he/she will have proper balanced nutrition. You might have several deficiencies in your body which might get transferred to your infant if you only feed him with the breast milk, for example, if you have Iron deficiency that is most common in the breastfeeding mothers, you might not be able to give him proper nutrition with breast milk only, and this is where the formula for breastfed babies is going to help you out.
· Pumping becomes a challenge: Pumping is a process that allows you to gather milk before your baby needs it. It seems easy to ready, but it becomes difficult if you decide to breastfeed your baby regularly, especially if you are a working lady. This difficulty can be overcome with the recommended formula for breastfed babies that we are going to discuss in the upcoming sections of the article.
· You can’t feed Baby the right way: Latching is the way a baby sticks to the breast while breastfeeding. Often, the babies are not good at latching, and it becomes problematic for the mothers because the milk doesn’t get proper flow. Your baby might latch properly when He/she is Hungry, but what will you do with bad latching at the time with no hunger? Perhaps the only solution you have is to give him/her the milk in the bottle.
· Breastfeeding becomes awkward at times: There are times when you are not in a position to offer breast milk to the infant. For example, if you are out for a night dinner and your little one is hungry, how would you feed him/her while being in public? In such situations, the only way out is to feed him//her through a bottle.
So, these are the problems with breastfeeding that can only be overcome through using both the ways (breastfeeding and feeding through formula) interchangeably. So, have you decided to use them both?
If you haven’t used formula feeding previously, it is going to become a new experience for you. Your baby might not react the same to a bottle as baby not used to do it as you are feeding through the breast milk. So, here are some key points that you must keep in mind.
Altering Breast Milk With A Formula Milk
Altering breastmilk with formula will have reactions from the baby such as
· The Infant might not drink from the Bottle: The babies have associated their Mothers with breastmilk so the baby will refuse to drink from the bottle for the first few days especially if you are the one giving it. Ask your partner or baby sitter to give a bottle, and the baby might start to drink. It is not a must situation that you are going to face. Different DNA’s react differently.
· Formula milk takes longer to digest: The digestion time of the formula is more than the breastmilk, so once you start giving the formula for breastfeeding babies, you will notice that it takes long before he/she gets hungry. The best thing you can do is to reschedule the meal routine so that the infant can adjust accordingly.
· The Bowel movements will change: Once you start giving the formula milk instead of breast milk, you will detect that the bowel movements will change. The baby might make the diaper as dirtier as it used to when you were feeding him/her with the breast milk. You will notice changes in the odour, colour, and smell of the poop too.
· One week of Adjustment Period: Once you start feeding your baby with the formula, you will notice the changes as mentioned earlier, it usually takes a week to overcome these changes before everything gets back to normal. So, for once week you will have to monitor the changes closely, once this week is over, you are all good to feed him/her with the formula milk.
Many mothers have this question in their minds; what’s a good formula for breastfed babies? Well, the one thing that differentiates the best formula from the worst one is the ingredients that it includes. These are some key aspects that you must check before buying formula for your infant.
What to look for in the best type of the formula for breastfed babies:
I’m sure you want to give the best kind of formula to your infant if so, these are the things you must consider.
· Check the ingredients of Formula: The formula which you should choose for your baby must contain proper nutrients. Most importantly, the formula must-have ingredients that the breast milk did not have. For example, if you have an iron deficiency, you can choose the formula that has iron in it. Another important thing is not to note that the formula must not contain any harmful substances.
· Check the recommended age: The formulas are different for every age of infants because the body requirements of the infant are different at different ages. For example, the best formula for newborns breastfeeding will be different from that of the best formula for a 7-month-old breastfed baby; the reason for this variation is the immune system of the infants. As they grow older, their immune system develops, and they can digest formulas that they would not have when they were newborn.
· Check the main function of the Formula: Every formula has different functions; some will help your baby in developing stronger immunity while others might help in overcoming constipation. The best way is to know the requirements of your child and then look for a product that best serves their needs.
· Buy a formula different from Breastmilk: Seems confusing, right? It is not. One of the reasons for you feeding the infant with formula is that you need to overcome the deficiencies that you had through the formula. So, the best way is to buy a formula that contains what breast milk doesn’t. Going with an Iron surplus formula would be a great option if you have Iron deficiency
Transitioning To Formula Feeding
You are well aware that your infant needs the best formula to supplement with breastmilk, but you are too scared to bring in the transition? Well, you are fear somewhat right because all the babies do not welcome the change so, here are some tips that will help while shifting to baby formula.
· Add the formula to their diet gradually: The infants might refuse to drink the formula if you give it to them immediately. The possible way is to make a mixture that contains 25 per cent of formula and 75 per cent of breast milk. This way, they will not find any change in the taste and will drink it happily. You can gradually increase the percentage of formula from 25 to 50 per cent until they get entirely habitual for it.
· Find the best suitable formula: Not All the powdered milk are the same when it comes to taste. You can begin with buying small cans of supplemental formula for breastfed babies and see how they respond to it. If your baby is Okay with the taste, you can carry on with the same formula else you can change.
· Choose the best Suitable Time: One thing is for sure if you feed your infant with the formula in the morning or evening, they will refuse to is it so? The reason for this behavior of infants is simple. During the day, they are busy with other stuff and are distracted; therefore, they drink the formula easily without even recognizing any difference.
BEST FORMULA FOR SUPPLEMENTING BREASTFED BABIES
When choosing a reliable baby formula Similac is one of the top priorities of the mummies. The formula is free from artificial flavoring and chemicals which can upset the baby’s stomach. It contains those nutrients which are essential for a baby’s growth in the first year of life. The iron-rich formula helps to fulfil the requirement if the mother has any deficiency. This powdered milk contains nutrients similar to those present in the breastmilk to help your baby grow healthily and stably.
Can be used as an alternating source to the breastmilk as it contains all the essential nutrients.
Suitable for babies up to one year.
No artificial ingredients
Rich in nutrients like vitamins and iron
Supports brain and eye development
Another good supplement option for breastmilk is the Lacto Relief formula. You can rely on this formula for your baby’s meal as it contains organic certified DHA and ARA. It contains nutrients that are healthy for the baby’s brain development and boosts immunity. The formula is best suited for babies who are lactose intolerant. CleanLabelProject.org awarded this organic formula as one of the best pure formulas which no chemicals ingredients added. It also contains GMO, palm oil, or corn and glucose syrup.
Pure organic ingredients.
No GMO or BPA added.
Best for babies who are lactose intolerant
Supports brain and eye development
The choice of many mummies is Enfamil Premium Infant formula reason being that it fulfils the baby tummy, providing them with the nutrition and secondly that it is readily available around the country. The easy to adapt formula has nutrients similar to those of breastmilk; this is the reason why babies enjoy drinking it. It reduced the gas, fussiness, and irritability in infants, making them happy and satisfied. The formula is recommended as best by many pediatricians.
Easy to adapt the formula
Rich in Omega 3 DHA
Recommended by many pediatricians
Non- GMO ingredients
Boosts immunity and improves cognitive development
Gerber is a good choice if you are planning on giving your child baby formula. The formula is suited for toddlers up to one year so you can try this formula along with your breastmilk. The formula is rich in protein, so if you are a vegan and lack of protein intake, this formula will fulfil the requirements for your baby. After six- months, you can use with formula along with cereals and other food items essential for the baby’s development. It is a non-GMO formula which means that it does not contain any harmful chemicals which can upset your baby’s health.
Recommended for baby from 1-12 month
Non- GMO formula
Rich in protein
Contains DHA for eye and brain development
If your baby is constipated and has pain in the stomach Enfamil’s Reguline formula is the best option you can avail of. It is the best solution for constipated babies and can also be used regularly to favor soft stool until they are ready to adding solid food to their diet. It also contains several other nutrients that are healthy for the baby’s growth.
Relieves digestive issues within a week
Promotes soft stool
Supports brain development
Rich in nutrients like omega3 and iron.
The earth’s organic Dairy infant formula is designed similarly to that of breastmilk to give your baby all the good nutrients. The organic formula is made with high-quality ingredients to help in the development of the infant. The formula has no artificial flavoring or any other harmful chemicals. The easy to digest formula is suitable for babies when they are born up to 12 months. It is made without prohibited synthetic pesticides and fertilizers. The non- GMO ingredients make it a reliable option for parents.
Organic formula with no chemicals
Rich in omega3 DHA and Omega 6 ARA fatty acids
Non-GMO ingredients and Kosher
Easy to digest
Enfamil has been trying in creating something similar to breastmilk, and their NeuroPro is the closest. The most fantastic ingredient about this formula is MFGM or Milk Fat Globule Membrane, a fatty substance that supports cognitive development. NeuroPro contains inositol or vitamin B8, which is excellent for mental health. The formula includes a balanced diet of carbs, proteins, and fats which are required by the infants’ body.
Contains Milk Fat Globule Membrane (MFGM)
Rich in carbs
High levels of inositol
Free from maltodextrin and corn syrup
Many experts suggest organic formulas are not worth the money, but that is not the case products like happy baby formula leaves mothers relived that they are feeding their toddlers with the good stuff. The affordable formula is purely made with organic ingredients. Not all mothers can feed at any place whenever the child is hungry in those situations happy baby’s formula will be your lifesaver. The ingredients are in the right order fulfil your baby’s tummy and leaving baby satisfied and happy.
4X more probiotics
Non-Gmo and gluten-free
No corn syrup
Rich in nutrients
If you are a busy mom and breastfeeding alone is not enough for your baby then Similac supplementation formula is a great choice. The formula is made to fulfil your infant’s dietary needs. This formula is not like other products of Similac, which has corn syrup in most of the formulas. Rich in omega and fatty acids. The formula is an excellent source of nutrients.
· No corn syrup and maltodextrin
· Rich in omega fatty acid Linoleic Acid
· Rich source of DHA, Lutein, and Vitamin E.
· Combo of nonfat milk, lactose, and whey protein
· best formula for newly bottle-fed babies
Babies with extra sensitive tummies have a great time adjusting to the milk. Finding the right formula for them sometimes becomes very difficult. Many parents find the Similac Pro sensitive formula a definitive source that relieves their infant’s problem. The formula is made to eliminate painful bouts of gas and bloating. It is also suitable for lactose-sensitive babies.
· Eliminates gas and bloating
· Contains the”-FL HMO prebiotic
· Suitable for lactose intolerant
· No artificial growth hormones
· Suitable for brain and eye development
Selecting the best formula for your baby can be a tough job:
But keeping in mind with your baby’s needs and a little research will save you a lot of time and money. It is better if you visit your pediatrician if your infant is having frequent problems.